Leeds Half Marathon 2011

After the nine or so months of waiting to see whether I would get a place in the London Marathon this year (I didn't) I went a-searching on the internet for possible replacement. The mysteriously under-attended Leeds Half Marathon looked the best bet, so I signed up.

With a month to go before race day, I had my first go at full race distance yesterday and even though it killed my legs, I managed to make it round in a shade over 2 and a half hours. The first half was at a pretty strong pace, putting in 7 or so miles in around half that time, but they just aren't used to such distance just yet, and the last quarter I was pretty much walking the last mile and I was shot for the rest of the day. Hopefully there will be time to put some more tries in before the actual race.

I have an extra impetus to run a good race, as I will be running for the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund, a major project from GlobalGiving supporting several organisations in the cleanup and ongoing support of the many thousands of people displaced by the initial earthquake and numerous aftershocks, the latest of which was a considerable 7.1-magnitude rumble. When I was looking for a charity this year to run for, it seemed like the natural choice to support them in their efforts.

If you would like to donate, please check out my JustGiving page to the right.

No comments: