The Challenge

I have my tickets and my pass:

My challenge is this:

See 150 films in 19 Days.

In 2007 I saw 50
In 2008 I saw 100

At the end of 2008, I decided that 100 was at the top end of how many films a person could see in a single festival and to attempt to keep the pattern going and see 150 was folly. But almost as if someone were listening in on me, the LIFF promoters announced recently that the festival would be extended this year by a week. Though my poor eyes screamed out NO! the idea had already been planted in my mind.

As before, it will all be blogged to death, and this time there will be a running count of the films watched to see how things are going.

The more preceptive amongst you might have counted up only 65 tickets in the picture above. However, that includes 13 short film collections. If I make the conservative estimate of 6 films per collection, that takes me to 130 films. So where do the other films come from? Well, I'm hoping that at least a few of those collections have a couple more films to show, and there will also be the occasional short film shown alongside the main films. I am also hopeful that the final days of the festival, where the main Vue and Carriageworks venues are down as showing no films at the moment, they will be used to re-screen some of the 'best of the fest', and so I might be able to catch some extra ones there as well. I'm particularly hopeful for Harry Brown and Time Masters, both of which I set as high priority but wasn't able to crowbar into my schedule.

It will be a pretty close run thing, I'm not sure it can even be done (especially since I'll also be holding down my job at the same time) but I'm going to give it my best shot. The eye-bashings start next Thursday.

No comments: